A Motivational Spiritual Moral Story The Grumpy Old Man
The Grumpy Old man teaches us about the destructive power of negative thinking. A short spiritual story with a life lesson or moral purpose that imparts true wisdom.
The Grumpy Old Man
Once not so long ago there lived a grumpy, ugly and rather smelly old man. He hadn’t always been this grumpy or this smelly when he was younger, it was life’s circumstances that had dealt him blow after blow and left him feeling this way.
He would spend his days trying too find food and shelter but everyday town folk and villagers would chase him away, teasing him and calling him names as they went. Many days were spent like this, hungry and alone.
With the beginning of a new day, the grumpy, smelly old man picks himself up from the dirt and starts walking the usual main road in search of food. What starts out to be a normal day for our grumpy, smelly old man certainly isn’t going to end that way.
The first village of the day
The first village he walks into looking for a kindhearted soul who would give him some food, turned out to be terribly mean indeed. The moment the villagers see him walking towards them, fresh new insults are hurled in his direction.
“Hey you over there you!” Shouted one man “you smell so bad my pigs have just hidden. Ha ha ha”
As the grumpy, smelly man hears this new insult he can feel himself becoming just a slightly bit more grumpier and slightly more stinkier than he had been a few moments before.
“Oi smelly britches” laughs a little girl
“Get out of our town you grumpy smelly thing” shouts an angry women
“Leave us alone” adds another “your not welcome smelling like you do and looking as ugly as a dogs dinner”
Again as these new harsh words are spoken, our grumpy, smelly old man can feel himself grow just a little bit more grumpy and slightly more stinky.
The mayor of the town steps forward and delivers the final harsh words telling our old grumpy, smelly old man to leave.
Leaving the village folk behind
Walking out of town our old man is feeling awful, he’s terribly hungry and extremely lonely. He feels even more grumpier than he did this morning and starts muttering under his smelly breath all the way to the next village.
It just so happens that our grumpy, smelly old man’s luck was about to change. For within the very next village their lived a wise man of high repute and a master in dealing with all matters of the heart and mind.
Upon entering the village, there seemed nothing unusual or special about this new place. Fresh insults were hurled in his general direction. Most he had heard before but they still hurt and he already felt slightly more grumpy then he did a moment ago. His heart sank and he began to feel like his life was hopeless. He was sure he wouldn’t eat today.
Hearing the commotion and the insults being dished out to someone new in town, the highly revered wise man approached the scene.
He watched as a local boy hurled a fresh new insult towards the grumpy, smelly old man. Seeing how the onlooking crowd just laughed he felt sorrow for this man. He also witnessed something else. He watched how each fresh new insult made the grumpy, smelly old man just ever so slightly more smelly, and a little more grumpy.
And so he began to hatch a wise plan.
What happen next is true wisdom
He explained to the villagers how this man was suffering. The only cure for this great suffering, he said, was kindness. He told the local villagers that they must begin to praise the grumpy, smelly old man and bestow happiness upon him. For only this he said would heal the wounds of hatered found in this poor man’s heart.
On hearing this the villagers hearts went out to the grumpy old man.
“Welcome to our village” a young women said to the old man.
“You must be tired with all your walking let me help you” said another and gently took the old man’s shoulder.
And sure enough just like the wise man had said. Every time they welcomed the grumpy, smelly and old man into their hearts. And every time they bestowed praise and kindness towards him. He would become ever so slightly less smelly and a touch less grumpy.
And the more the villagers could see with their own eyes how sending kindness towards the grumpy old man was working. The more they praised him with their words of positivity, love and happiness. And the more the villagers gave compassion from their hearts the more the smelly, grumpy old man was becoming a happier and nicer person altogether.
Until eventually ever trace of the ugly, smelly, grumpy old man were replaced by a handsome, kindhearted and happy old man. He spent the rest of his days living in that wonderful little village. And became a life long student of the wise man who had turned his life around.
Join Our Twice Weekly Email Packed With FREE Goodies to Create A Positive Mindset
Coaching & Training in Positive Thinking
Check Your Junk Mail after signing up if you haven’t heard from us in 5 minutes. Your welcome email has a downloadable Free Gift. we don’t want you to miss It
Author: Dhamma Tāpasā* (Andrew Hallas)
Moral of Story:
What we think we become! The more we feed our negativity the more it grows. If we add input to that negativity the more our minds produce the same type of thoughts. And around and around it goes.
*Dhamma Tāpasā is a trained former Buddhist Monk and the spiritual name given to Andrew Hallas. Now a Life Changing and inspirational Positive Coach, a certified NLP Practitioner, Mindfulness Trainer, a Motivational Speaker and a Published Author.
Creator of the highly acclaimed “The Four Trees” a story of learning how we can all live a more fulfilled and content lifestyle.
By using his unique approach of storytelling, mixed with some ancient Buddhist Monk Secrets, 3 Simple Life Principles and all combined with 21st century scientifically proven NLP techniques, Dhamma Tāpasā is able to capture your imaginations whilst teaching you valuable Life Skills that will change every aspect of your life.
Be careful what you think and say!
I Help Empower YOU With A Lifetime of Positivity…
…Changing The Way You Experience The World
Do You Feel YOU Deserve More Out Of Life?
Want To Make A Difference For Yourself And Your Family?
With This Brand New Cutting Edge Approach I Will Transform Your Life Quicker, Easier and More Effective Than Any Model Out There
Just Give It A Try Completely Risk FREE
And I Promise I Will Transform YOUR Entire LIFE!
All Our Spiritual Stories are NOW available on Amazon
Some of Our Most Compelling Inspirational Moral Stories
Or Find Something Interesting Today
- Make Your life Truly AmazingWhat Makes Your life Truly Amazing? Discover 7 of the most popular answers and are yours the same?
- The Empty Golden Box an Inspirational StoryAn inspirational story of unconditional love and hope something we all need in our lives.
- The Elastic Band Effect and How to Overcome ItUnderstand What The Elastic Band Effect is and how to overcome it’s limiting ability.
- The Pencil AnalogyAn Inspirational & Motivational Moral Story Analogies and Metaphors and the art of storytelling help us retain the information faster. The Analogy of the Pencil is one of those metaphors that once read we just simple can’t forget. Enjoy. The Pencil Analogy The Pencil Maker took the pencil aside andContinue reading “The Pencil Analogy”
- The 3 Types of Goal SettingThe these essential 3 types of goal setting to set you above the rest
- The Art of Being an OptimistLearn the art of being an optimist, living with a positive attitude towards any obstacle.
- The Art of Positive ThinkingThe art of positive thinking is about truly understanding how our human minds work to allow for permanent change within our own thinking and subsequently becoming more positive in your own life.
- Optimism 4 BeginnersOptimism 4 Beginners is now available as a Free ebook to help us through these troubling times. With Russia invading Ukraine, Covid-19 and inflation starting to make its presence felt, Optimism 4 Beginners uses original metaphors and heartwarming stories to enhance strategies and techniques to keep a positive frame of mind.
- Living with RegretWhat are your biggest regrets in life? We all have regrets in life but do you know the best way to deal? Do you know what the 5 most common regrets are in life?
- The Prisons we create within our own MindAs humans we all create glass ceilings within our minds. These can be like prisons within ourselves or limiting beliefs. These two short stories illustrate the point beautifully and can give us an enlightenment moment
- Mountain of EnlightenmentA short moral tale of climbing a mountain towards enlightenment. A life lesson on how the mind works.
- A Pig Called No-SquealThe Harsh reality of judging others, never judge a book by its cover, or envy another’s circumstances. Everyone is suffering in some form or another, we can never tell from the outside what that maybe. Learn to live contently in YOUR life, live in the moment.
- The Zen Master and The ThiefA Short Tale of how we have the choice in any given situation how to react. The Zen Master and the Thief demonstrates this attitude perfectly
- The Creative Principle and Law of OneGuest author Salah Grenewood tells us about the power of oneness and it’s magical presence it has in your life.
- The Chicken Farmer and The PeacockLearn the illusion of the human mind with this short moral story The Chicken Farmer and The Peacock’
- The Moment that Changed My LifeThis chance moment with Thich Nhat Hanh changed my life forever.
- 3 Principles to Achieve SuccessThe 3 little used techniques and strategies to build success. Understanding these simple yet powerful strategies have long lasting effects that make your life shine in every way.
- To Thich Nhat Hanh my first meditation masterIt is with a heavy heart that I hear the news tonight at 10:30pm my first Buddhist meditation teach an the most extraordinary mindfulness master Thich Nhat Hanh has passed away. Your words of encouragement you personally shared with me on retreat at Plum Village will never be forgotten andContinue reading “To Thich Nhat Hanh my first meditation master”
- 61 Ideas to Reduce Stress and TensionStress, anxiety and the consequential build up of tension these create, is one of the most reported issues of recent times. Covid-19 has caused a sudden and dramatic rise in reported mental health issues ranging from anxiety, loneliness, stress and tension to name just a few. All types of people have been effected in many ways and getting a grip of these damaging problems can improve your life dramatically.
- A Course in Building Confidence and Self esteemCam optimism be learnt? Can positive thinking change my life, Dhamma Tāpasā explores this fascinating topic.