A Short Inspirational Moral Story
The Monk and the Snake
Once a very long time ago there lived a Hermit Monk. He preferred to spend his time well away from the trappings of society and instead sought seclusion within nature to deepen his meditation practice. He would still visit the local village early each morning to collect his alms food. And this had been the way our Monk lived for many years.
One fine afternoon, after our Monk had received his alms food he found his usual meditation cushion. And started to practice Samadhi Meditation began to be aware of his breathing. His concentration became so great our Monk sat for a very long time. He didn’t notice the large snake coming closer and closer. Our Monk was absorbed with his one pointed concentration that he had become as still as a tree.
The large snake didn’t even notice the silent and still Monk who was meditating as still as a tree. All he noticed was a nice warm sleeping spot in those Monks robes all draped around his crossed legs, and in the sunshine. Our snake snuggled into the Monks lap and fell fast asleep.
Many Days Passed
An hour or so passed like this with our Monk in a deep mediative concentration. And our snake fast asleep on his lap. Slowly the Monk returned his concentration to his surroundings and began to become aware of an unusual weight in his lap. You can imagine the surprise of the Monk as he glanced down into his lap. As bold as brass a very large snake had indeed curled up in his lap and fallen fast asleep.
Fear grasped our Monk who instantly closed his eyes and started meditating again. He calmed himself and remembered his training. All things are impermanent and forever changing. He knew without a doubt the snake would move on again, and so he stayed in Meditation
But our snake was very comfortable and didn’t want to move, he stayed where he was fast asleep. This went on for many hours and then many days. Eventually the villagers had started to notice the absence of their Monk and decided to pay him a visit.
The villagers came with food and offerings. However as they approached they noticed the Monk sat silently in Meditation. They were all so absorbed with the serenity of the Monk and his stillness that they didn’t notice the snake curled up fast asleep in his lap. Slowly each villager bowed with respect to the meditating monk and left their offerings and our monk to his meditation.
Life went on like this for many, many days. Our Monk out of fear in a deep mediative concentration. The snake fast asleep on his lap all comfortable as can be. And the villagers coming each and every day to offer food.
At last the snake finally moved on
Finally our snake found he had become hungry. He uncurled himself from the Monks lap and stretched his biggest stretch. And slowly slithetred off in search of food. Our Monk also slowly came out of meditation but something had changed deep within. He had sat for many days in complete absorption of his mind. And now could see as clear as a mountain lake the processes within our minds. He could see that which causes humanity so much pain and suffering, he had attained enlightenment.
Witnessing for himself the true impermanence of all phenomena and the attachment to everything, that cause our sufferings. As our monk slowly opened his eyes a great sense of loving kindness filled his heart. He noticed all the offerings from the local villagers and was compelled with compassion to help there sufferings. Packing his small bag he started walking to the village where he stayed and taught for the rest of his life, the root causes of our sufferings and the way to enlightenment.
Author: Dhamma Tāpasā* (Andrew Hallas)
Moral of the Story:
Sometimes Fear can compel us to do some remarkable things but also has the power to cripple our thinking. Everyone of us has experienced fear in our lives and it is how we move forward not allowing that fear to consume our thinking that is the key. Fear is a natural response to changeable and uncertain situations. To attach to that fear and live life within her is not a natural response, this is overthinking. If fear is having a crippling effect on your decision making, we are overthinking life and need to find a way to relax. Meditation helps to calm the mind and settle the overthinking. Feel the fear and do it anyway
Do YOU Feel Like YOU Just Can’t Stop YOURSELF Overthinking?
With YOUR Thoughts Racing Away, Wound Up & Can’t Seem to Let GO
Then Let’s Make 2022 The Year That Changes Everything For YOU
I Don’t Just Change One Problem I Will Transform YOUR Entire LIFE!
*Dhamma Tāpasā is a trained former Buddhist Monk and the spiritual name given to Andrew Hallas. Now a Life Changing and inspirational Transformative Coach, a certified NLP Practitioner, Mindfulness Trainer, a Motivational Speaker and a Published Author.
Creator of the highly acclaimed “The Four Trees” a story of learning how we can all live a more fulfilled and content lifestyle.
By using his unique approach of storytelling, mixed with some ancient Buddhist Monk Secrets, 3 Simple Life Principles and all combined with 21st century scientifically proven NLP techniques, Dhamma Tāpasā is able to capture your imaginations whilst teaching you valuable Life Skills that will change every aspect of your life.
All Our Original Spiritual Stories are NOW Available For Instant Download
2 Ebooks for the price of 1 or pay $7.85 on Amazon
Our most Compelling Original Moral Stories
- Make Your life Truly AmazingWhat Makes Your life Truly Amazing? Discover 7 of the most popular answers and are yours the same?
- The Empty Golden Box an Inspirational StoryAn inspirational story of unconditional love and hope something we all need in our lives.
- The Elastic Band Effect and How to Overcome ItUnderstand What The Elastic Band Effect is and how to overcome it’s limiting ability.
- The Pencil AnalogyAn Inspirational & Motivational Moral Story Analogies and Metaphors and the art of storytelling help us retain the information faster.Continue reading “The Pencil Analogy”
- The 3 Types of Goal SettingThe these essential 3 types of goal setting to set you above the rest
- The Art of Being an OptimistLearn the art of being an optimist, living with a positive attitude towards any obstacle.
- The Art of Positive ThinkingThe art of positive thinking is about truly understanding how our human minds work to allow for permanent change within our own thinking and subsequently becoming more positive in your own life.
- Optimism 4 BeginnersOptimism 4 Beginners is now available as a Free ebook to help us through these troubling times. With Russia invading Ukraine, Covid-19 and inflation starting to make its presence felt, Optimism 4 Beginners uses original metaphors and heartwarming stories to enhance strategies and techniques to keep a positive frame of mind.
- Living with RegretWhat are your biggest regrets in life? We all have regrets in life but do you know the best way to deal? Do you know what the 5 most common regrets are in life?
- The Prisons we create within our own MindAs humans we all create glass ceilings within our minds. These can be like prisons within ourselves or limiting beliefs. These two short stories illustrate the point beautifully and can give us an enlightenment moment
- Mountain of EnlightenmentA short moral tale of climbing a mountain towards enlightenment. A life lesson on how the mind works.
- A Pig Called No-SquealThe Harsh reality of judging others, never judge a book by its cover, or envy another’s circumstances. Everyone is suffering in some form or another, we can never tell from the outside what that maybe. Learn to live contently in YOUR life, live in the moment.
- The Zen Master and The ThiefA Short Tale of how we have the choice in any given situation how to react. The Zen Master and the Thief demonstrates this attitude perfectly
- The Creative Principle and Law of OneGuest author Salah Grenewood tells us about the power of oneness and it’s magical presence it has in your life.
- The Chicken Farmer and The PeacockLearn the illusion of the human mind with this short moral story The Chicken Farmer and The Peacock’
- The Moment that Changed My LifeThis chance moment with Thich Nhat Hanh changed my life forever.
- 3 Principles to Achieve SuccessThe 3 little used techniques and strategies to build success. Understanding these simple yet powerful strategies have long lasting effects that make your life shine in every way.
- To Thich Nhat Hanh my first meditation masterIt is with a heavy heart that I hear the news tonight at 10:30pm my first Buddhist meditation teach anContinue reading “To Thich Nhat Hanh my first meditation master”
- 61 Ideas to Reduce Stress and TensionStress, anxiety and the consequential build up of tension these create, is one of the most reported issues of recent times. Covid-19 has caused a sudden and dramatic rise in reported mental health issues ranging from anxiety, loneliness, stress and tension to name just a few. All types of people have been effected in many ways and getting a grip of these damaging problems can improve your life dramatically.
- A Course in Building Confidence and Self esteemCam optimism be learnt? Can positive thinking change my life, Dhamma Tāpasā explores this fascinating topic.
- The Floating MeditationThe Floating Meditation is very easy and simple to understand and forms part of our mini meditation series. Together we explore some old Buddhist secrets to help us all get some well deserved sleep and relaxation.
- Get A Decent sleep?How Can I Get A Decent Nights sleep? Do these Buddhist secrets to drifting off into a deep and relaxing sleep.
- 5 Things that will Improve Your Life TodayWhy You Need To Do These 5 Things to Improve Your Life Self improvement can be a big undertaking. WithContinue reading “5 Things that will Improve Your Life Today”
- The Buddha a short storyThe life of the Buddha and his search for enlightenment. A wonderfully illustrated short story
- You are Perfect just the way You areYou are perfect the way you are!
- Meditations to Help with Better Sleep. The Breath DanceThe Breath Dance Meditation is very easy and simple to understand and forms part of our mini meditation series that has us exploring some old Buddhist secrets to help us all get some well deserved sleep and relaxation.
- The Body ScanThe Body Scan Meditation is very easy and simple to use and forms part of our mini meditation series that has us exploring some old Buddhist secrets that help you get some well deserved sleep and relaxation.
- The Seven Sages of the Bamboo GroveThe hysterical stories of The Seven Sages of the Bamboo Grove
- The Three Types of People Capable of Bringing True Happiness to The WorldThe Buddha spoke of three types of people who bring true happiness to the world, are You one of them?
- The Wave MeditationDo you have trouble Sleeping? Try this 100% guaranteed way to make you fall sound asleep fast! Wake feeling refreshed and ready for your day.