Two Short Motivational Moral Stories
The Prisons of Our Minds
The prisons we create within our mind can have a devastating effect on our wellbeing. This story that follows is a scientific fact, and demonstrates beautifully how as humans we create prisons within our own mind. Usually these prisons keep us from achieving our greatest desires and a lot of the time we have no idea we’ve even created them.
These prisons we create in our own mind are also known as a glass ceiling. An invisible ceiling we believe we can’t move past. This glass ceiling feeling could be found in our relationships, our monetary income, business dealings or just about any aspects within our own lives.
The Common House Flea
The common house flea is one of the smallest animals on the earth. Not much bigger than a couple of millimetres. However this little creature has a remarkable ability. It has the power in those tiny back legs to propel itself to jump 200 times it’s own height. I’m relation to a cat that’s over 16 times higher.
Now if you capture a house flea and place a glass cup over them, something very interesting happens.
When the flea jumps to try and escape he will keep hitting his little head on the bottom of the glass cup. After a few more attempts and with each jump ending in a headache, the flea realises what’s happening and will adjust his jumping height accordingly. The flea will now jump to just under this new glass roof or glass ceiling. After all why would you want to jump and keep smacking your head on the roof.
Now for the really interesting bit.
When you remove the glass our poor flea has now been conditioned into jumping at this new height. He has learnt from experience that if he jumps any higher it will smack its head on the glass ceiling.
This is the glass ceiling syndrome or the prisons we create in our own minds. Everyone of us as humans will create these so called glass ceilings within our minds. From telling yourself your not good enough, to feeling self pity over a lack of money. Everyone of us as humans has at least a few of these glass ceilings or prisons created.
Here’s Another example:
A fully grown elephant is one of the strongest and largest mammals to walk the earth and a far cry from the little house flea in the previous story. However the poor elephant will also develop its own glass ceiling.
The Elephant Trainer
This is also a scientifically proven idea and the story was told to me by a Loas forest farmer who used elephants to do the work of a tractor.
When I was a Buddhist monk I used to watch every morning as an old man and his son walked from there house that over looked the Mekong river down to a small enclosed paddock to collect there two prized elephants. They would climb on top and go to work in the forest. Everyday at around lunch time they would come out of the forest and visit a local small cafe/restaurant. They used to come out of the forest on top of these two magnificent looking elephants and gently tie them to a wooden post by a loose knot. I watched this spectacle for a few days before I asked them why don’t the elephants just pull at the rope and escape.
The old man told me something that stuck in my mind ever since.
He told me that when the elephants were very young they would be tied up at night to a long stake that was firmly placed into the ground. Then tied very firmly with a knot that when pulled would only get tighter onto that stake.
No matter how hard the little baby elephant pulled he wouldn’t be able to get himself loose. And slowly over a few weeks the elephant would give up entirely. The little elephant realised it was no use pulling and excepted his new bondage. He wouldn’t bother to pull any more. And that’s how as adults they were confident that the elephants wouldn’t pull at their rope and never escape.
I found this story to be very sad indeed. How could such a beautiful and powerful animal such as an elephant be so conditioned and so quickly.
Because of this experience I got an enlightenment moment that has never left me.
I realised that its not just the elephant or the house flea that have this problem. I realised instantly as humans we all do the same thing to ourselves and in many different disguises. As humans we all create our own glass ceilings or prisons we create in our own minds.
Maybe it’s playing the self pity game, oh way does this always happen to me. Maybe we try a few times at something then give up believing we can’t do it. Maybe we get hurt in relationship after relationship and decide that we don’t want to do that again. Whatever it is as humans we are all guilty of creating these glass ceilings around ourselves.
There is hope
Some of you reading this may of realised you are guilty of doing these things to yourself, and can easily see your own glass ceilings. Others may realise you also have created these glass ceilings but can’t actually see where they are in your life.
This is where I can come in and help. I am a certified NLP Practitioner, a 3 Principles Buddhist life coach and with a simple chat I can help you notice your glass ceilings. I have now helped many others remove their glass ceilings and create brand new horizons for themselves, I’ve been professional doing this for over 4 years and have helped many many others see for themselves just where there limiting beliefs may be.
If you want to find out more and how I can help you click the button below.
It all starts with one quick chat
Dhamma Tāpasā* (Andrew Hallas)
*Dhamma Tāpasā is a trained former Buddhist Monk and the spiritual name given to Andrew Hallas. A 3 Principles Buddhist Life Coach, a certified NLP Practitioner, Mindfulness Trainer, a Motivational Speaker and a Published Author.
Creator of the highly acclaimed “The Four Trees” a story of learning how we can all live a more fulfilled and content lifestyle.
By using his unique approach of storytelling, mixed with ancient Buddhist Monk Secrets, and combined with 21st century scientifically proven techniques, Dhamma Tāpasā is able to capture your imaginations whilst teaching you valuable Life Skills and True Wisdom.
I Help Empower YOU With A Lifetime of Confidence By Changing The Way You Experience The World
Do You Feel YOU Deserve More Out Of Life?
Want To Make A Difference For Yourself And Your Family?
With This Brand New Cutting Edge Approach I Will Transform Your Life Quicker, Easier and More Effective Than Any Model Out There
Just Give It A Try Completely Risk FREE
And I Promise I Will Transform YOUR Entire LIFE!
Or Find Something else to Spark Your Imagination
- Make Your life Truly AmazingWhat Makes Your life Truly Amazing? Discover 7 of the most popular answers and are yours the same?
- The Empty Golden Box an Inspirational StoryAn inspirational story of unconditional love and hope something we all need in our lives.
- The Elastic Band Effect and How to Overcome ItUnderstand What The Elastic Band Effect is and how to overcome it’s limiting ability.
- The Pencil AnalogyAn Inspirational & Motivational Moral Story Analogies and Metaphors and the art of storytelling help us retain the information faster. The Analogy of the Pencil is one of those metaphors that once read we just simple can’t forget. Enjoy. The Pencil Analogy The Pencil Maker took the pencil aside andContinue reading “The Pencil Analogy”
- The 3 Types of Goal SettingThe these essential 3 types of goal setting to set you above the rest
- The Art of Being an OptimistLearn the art of being an optimist, living with a positive attitude towards any obstacle.
- The Art of Positive ThinkingThe art of positive thinking is about truly understanding how our human minds work to allow for permanent change within our own thinking and subsequently becoming more positive in your own life.
- Optimism 4 BeginnersOptimism 4 Beginners is now available as a Free ebook to help us through these troubling times. With Russia invading Ukraine, Covid-19 and inflation starting to make its presence felt, Optimism 4 Beginners uses original metaphors and heartwarming stories to enhance strategies and techniques to keep a positive frame of mind.
- Living with RegretWhat are your biggest regrets in life? We all have regrets in life but do you know the best way to deal? Do you know what the 5 most common regrets are in life?
- The Prisons we create within our own MindAs humans we all create glass ceilings within our minds. These can be like prisons within ourselves or limiting beliefs. These two short stories illustrate the point beautifully and can give us an enlightenment moment
- Mountain of EnlightenmentA short moral tale of climbing a mountain towards enlightenment. A life lesson on how the mind works.
- A Pig Called No-SquealThe Harsh reality of judging others, never judge a book by its cover, or envy another’s circumstances. Everyone is suffering in some form or another, we can never tell from the outside what that maybe. Learn to live contently in YOUR life, live in the moment.
- The Zen Master and The ThiefA Short Tale of how we have the choice in any given situation how to react. The Zen Master and the Thief demonstrates this attitude perfectly
- The Creative Principle and Law of OneGuest author Salah Grenewood tells us about the power of oneness and it’s magical presence it has in your life.
- The Chicken Farmer and The PeacockLearn the illusion of the human mind with this short moral story The Chicken Farmer and The Peacock’
- The Moment that Changed My LifeThis chance moment with Thich Nhat Hanh changed my life forever.
- 3 Principles to Achieve SuccessThe 3 little used techniques and strategies to build success. Understanding these simple yet powerful strategies have long lasting effects that make your life shine in every way.
- To Thich Nhat Hanh my first meditation masterIt is with a heavy heart that I hear the news tonight at 10:30pm my first Buddhist meditation teach an the most extraordinary mindfulness master Thich Nhat Hanh has passed away. Your words of encouragement you personally shared with me on retreat at Plum Village will never be forgotten andContinue reading “To Thich Nhat Hanh my first meditation master”
- 61 Ideas to Reduce Stress and TensionStress, anxiety and the consequential build up of tension these create, is one of the most reported issues of recent times. Covid-19 has caused a sudden and dramatic rise in reported mental health issues ranging from anxiety, loneliness, stress and tension to name just a few. All types of people have been effected in many ways and getting a grip of these damaging problems can improve your life dramatically.
- A Course in Building Confidence and Self esteemCam optimism be learnt? Can positive thinking change my life, Dhamma Tāpasā explores this fascinating topic.